Embarking on a journey into year-round age group swimming is exciting, but it can get complicated - especially for parents! We've put together some information that should answer most of your questions. Feel free to contact us if there's anything else you'd like to know about joining the Tsunami Swimming family!
You can find all of this information and more in our Parent Handbook.
We keep a selection of practice equipment in stock, which is available for purchase on Sunday afternoons at the pool, or from Peter AFTER weekday practices. Other required or optional equipment can be purchased anywhere that sells this type of equipment or ordered from Sport Fair (1-800-524-9501). Any equipment with the team logo must be ordered from Sport Fair.
Required equipment for Practice, Tsunami has some in stock.
- Practice suits, $30-$40 female / $25 male Jammers/Briefs,
- Fins, Pull Buoy, Goggles
Optional equipment, in stock:
- Goggles $6 - $20
- Prescription goggles are also available, special order $15
- Practice caps (not required unless hair is a problem) $7 silicone
- Team t-shirts $10 (limited selection of sizes)
- Parent polo shirts $20 (limited selection of sizes)
Required equipment, order from Sport Fair: 800-524-9501 (Prices may change)
- Team cap (required for meets)
- Fins $35-45
- Pull buoy $10-15
- Team suit (usually 1-2 sizes smaller than practice suit) not required
An order form from Sport Fair will be distributed to parents during the first month of practice. A representative from Sport Fair will come to Fredericksburg Academy Wednesday September 25th, 2019 from 5:30 pm- 8:00 pm. They will bring equipment to sell and equipment that has already been ordered. They also have a sales table at all of our meets in this area.
Swim Meet Information
Heather Crampton sends out meet invitations for each meet 2-4 weeks before that meet to the parents. These have information on who qualifies to attend, location, times, dates, directions and other specifics. Swimmers and their parents choose which meets, they will attend. The coaches can guide you in these decisions, and will recommend meets that would be best for your swimmer. All swimmers must swim three meets, of which, one must be a Championship meet.
Swimmers are encouraged to swim a wide variety of events at meets. This is one of the great things about age group swimming. If your swimmer swims in summer league, high school and maybe college, they will probably have a "best" stroke or event, and will swim just that stroke or event all of the time. Age group swimmers are encourage to learn how to swim all of the strokes and events. Many swimmers find that the stroke they hate when they are 8 becomes their favorite at age 12.
USA Swimming Registration
All swimmers who wish to compete at meets must be registered with VA Swimming and USA Swimming. Your $100 registration fee covers this cost.
Each host team charges $8-10 per swimmer per event. Championship meets cost more. These fees will be charged to your meet fee account. When you sign up for a meet please pre-pay. Estimate meet fees at $30-$40 per day per swimmer, Tsunami swimming must pay these fees to the host team before the meet deadline, if you sign up for the meet and don’t attend you still have to pay for those events..
You will receive an account statement periodically which will show actual charges, payments, and credit or balance due for team fees, meet fees, scrip fees etc.
Swim & Stay Fit swimmers can also attend meets with our team, but their meet fees are doubled for each competition.
To help offset the cost of the pool rental and coaches' travel expenses, team families commit to raising $200.00 in funds each year for the first swimmer, and $40.00 for each additional swimmer. This is in addition to your team contract fees and meet fees.
Any money accumulated above the $200.00 commitment, is shared 50/50 with the family and Tsunami Swimming Scholarship fund. The remaining amount is placed in the family's account towards the family's team contract fees, meet fees, or any other fees incurred.
Three ways to fulfill the fundraising obligation:
- Purchase/sell Attractions Books. $5 of each sale counts towards the $200. See Coach Pete for these at the beginning of the season.
- Pay the entire fundraising total outright.
- Purchase gift cards through the Great Lake Scrip Center (GLSC program), referred to as SCRIPs. A percentage of each gift card purchase will go towards offsetting your $200.00 fundraising total. The percentage is determined by the retailer; not all percentages are the same.
- For example - You purchase a $100 Sheetz Gift Card. The return on the Sheetz card is 3%. That means that $3 goes towards your $200 obligation; you now owe $197. You also purchase a $100 Old Navy gift card. The return on Old Navy is 14%. That means $14 goes towards your $200 obligation; you now owe $183.
GLSC/SCRIPs Program - How it works:
The website for SCRIPs is www.shopwithscrip.com. Once you navigate to the website, click on "Family Sign Up". The team enrollment number is: 4C3347ft1L595.
You may either purchase hard/physical gift cards from the SCRIPs coordinator or create a PrestoPay account through the website and use your phone/computer to make purchases.
Tsunami usually has several popular cards in stock, and over 700 other retailers that can be special ordered- and/or purchased electronically online. When you purchase from the coordinator on the pool deck, you receive a physical gift card immediately. Scrip ordered online via shopwithscrip through the website is received 3 - 5 business days after the coordinator has released the order. Scrips orders are usually placed every 2 weeks.
Ordering and Payment Options:
- Special order for gift cards: The coordinator places all "physical" gift card orders. If you wish to purchase a physical gift card that is not in stock, full payment, either in cash or check must be made payable Tsunami Swimming to prior to the ordering of the card. Due to shipping costs, the profit for a group order must exceed the estimated shipping cost of $7.50.
- PrestoPay - The team would prefer that all physical gift cards, reloads, and Scripnow orders be paid for via PrestoPay. Once your scrip account is active, you can sign up for PrestoPay. It takes about 3 days to complete the sign up process. Having a PrestoPay account also gives you the freedom of placing an order whenever you would like for cards, gift card reloading or scrips-wallet. The only fee is a $0.15 processing fee each time you place an order. See the coordinator for help. **Any orders for physical gift cards placed using PrestoPay will not be placed until it is approved and "released" for order by the coordinator.
- New in August 2019 - You may also use Visa and Mastercard as payment for online orders. A 2.6% fee will be added to your order total each time you place an order and pay with a credit card. Credit card payments should be processed through the shopwithscrip website.
The coordinator must release all online orders UNLESS you have opted for "e-cards".
*If you do not want to wait for a physical gift cards, Scripsnow offers printable e-cards. This is the fastest, cheapest, and easiest way to purchase scrip. The e-cards work exactly like a traditional gift card. You may print them out from a computer or use them on your cell phone.
PrestoPay payments are made to GLSC on behalf .of Tsunami Swimming. If a payment is returned or rejected for any reason, one of the following actions will be taken:
- If the family order has not been released by Tsunami, GLSC will cancel the order and charge Tsunami a bank charge of $30.00. The family will then owe Tsunami the $30.00 fee.
- If the family order has been released by Tsunami, GLSC will charge Tsunami for the face value of your order, plus a bank charge of $30.00. The family will then owe Tsunami that full amount.
The Scrip Coordinator carries an assortment of cards on the pool deck. The cards purchased on deck can be .paid for by either cash or check payable to Tsunami Swimming. Please pay for scrip pur.chases separate from any meet/program fees. The Scrip coordinator keeps track of how much scrip each family purchases, and how much "profit" has been raised by the purchases.
Tsunami Volunteer Scrip coordinator: